Better late than never RBR build

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Better late than never RBR build

Post  ripcard on Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:46 pm

A little while ago I bought the RBR kit second hand from a fellow Canuck. He had made an attempt at building it and wasn't happy with his results. I missed out on getting this kit when they were available from Madisound so it was an apportunity I didn't want to pass up.

A little history: RBR stands for Recession Buster Reference. The kit was a collaboration between CLD and Madisound.

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8644

http://www.clearwaveloudspeaker.com/RBR/infoRBR.html

As mentioned in the links above it was a one time deal and will not be offered again but Jed has a design for this enclosure that uses currently available drivers.

http://www.clearwaveloudspeaker.com/C5/C5.html

I decided to build the vented version to get the most out of the low end extension this driver is famous for.

I plan on following the plans to the letter so they should (hopefully) turn out the same as the designer's version. I thought I had some pics of the stack of MDF parts and the making of the braces but someone accidently cleaned the CF card in my camera. Evil or Very Mad

The 5" holes in the braces were cut using a hole saw in a drill press. You can use a circle jig as well but I happened to have a 5" hole saw. A couple of things with using a hole saw on MDF this thick: you need to ensure dust removal from the cut as you drill otherwise burning will occur and the drill press should be set to the lowest speed. A 5" hole saw is a big bit! Luckily the following pics were on a different CF card.

Because I would be in the shop for a couple of days doing some other projects, I decided to do the glue up of the cabinets in stages. Less slip sliding and easier alignment while clamping. These cheap little 90 deg. clamps make it easy.

The little bag of grout is just a counter weight to prevent a tip over and the temporary blocks in between the braces are to ensure they stay straight and parallel.

I decided to build these the same way I've done my earlier CLD builds. I leave one side off until the foam and wiring is done.

I used Sonic Barrier for cabinet damping. 1/2" in the section closest to the drivers and 3/4" everywhere else. I will fill the back chamber with Acousta-Stuf once the binding posts have been installed. I should be able to get the sides on today and begin work on the baffles. I hope to have another update later this week or early next.

Last edited by ripcard on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total

ripcard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Better late than never RBR build

Post  Clearwave on Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:55 pm

Cool build. Thanks Ripcard. I think you'll like the RBR quite a bit because the tweeter is very similar to the one used in your Dynamic mk1 speakers.

Jed

Clearwave

View user profile http://www.clearwaveloudspeaker.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ripcard on Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:01 am

Thanks Jed, that's good news as I really do like the Dynamics in my HT. If the Mark 2 is an improvement it must be amazing. Everyone that has heard my HT, whether playing a movie or music is blown away by the sound. Comments are mostly things like "very clear" and "very full". SACD and DVD-A discs are especially enjoyable.

Anyway, I have an update on the RBR build.

The sides were glued on.

The baffle calls for 1" so I glued up a couple of pieces of 1/2" MDF. Because the woofer hole must be relieved/chamfered on the back, I decided to make the baffles (complete with cut outs) before glueing them to the boxes. Much easier to do a nice job of the back of the woofer holes on the router table. I went ahead and veneered the baffles before doing the cut outs. I liked the look of the smaller of the two flanges in the Precision Port kit better for the front of this speaker. The 5/8" chamfer on the sides will be done once they are mated to the cabinets. Here is a test fit.

You can see here, the need to open up the woofer hole for this driver when mounted in a thick baffle.

The boxes are waiting for their baffles.

That's it for now. Leaving Friday for a little vacation. May be a couple of weeks before the next update.

Last edited by ripcard on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total

ripcard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Clearwave on Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:31 am

Looks great so far! I like all those clamps! The more cabinets I build, the more I just wish I had my own CNC machine to make rabbeted cuts so all things just slide together like a puzzle. I guess us mortals have to do it the old fashioned way with corner clamps and template blocks of wood to keep things all nice and square. In the end it's all good, and I hope the sound is even better than your expectations.

Regards,

Jed

Clearwave

Back to top Go down

Post  ripcard on Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:31 pm

mmmmmm...CNC. I have been looking here and considering building one but I would have to give up more shop space than I can afford right now.

ripcard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ripcard on Tue May 25, 2010 7:14 pm

Well it's been a while since my last update as I've been busier than expected recently. But I hope to bring this project to conclusion soon as the summer will only bring less time for "indoor" projects. Not a ton of progress to show but I didn't want everybody to think I'd given up.

The baffles were glued on and then the bevels were cut. I used a chamfering bit in my router table. The boxes are small enough to handle on the table.

After I patched a few defects I sanded the cabinets to prepare for veneer. I cut out all the pieces of veneer and began with the bevels.

I protect any adjacent veneer with tape to prevent glue causing issues with the finish later on.

I did the backs next and will continue this week finishing up the veneer.

On the home stretch now. Can't wait to hear them.

Last edited by ripcard on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:54 am; edited 2 times in total

ripcard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Clearwave on Tue May 25, 2010 8:10 pm

Looking good Ripcard. Thanks for posting your build.

Clearwave

Back to top Go down

Post  ripcard on Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:51 am

Sorry about the delay but here is the final installment in the build thread.

I finished the veneering of all the sides and the chamfers. I used Heat Lock Veneer glue. Two coats on both the veneer and the cabinets.

I sanded the veneer with 100 grit first then did everything again with 220 grit.

I wanted to do a simple clear over the natural cherry. I used a wipe on poly.

Installed the stuffing in behind the rear brace after mounting and wiring the binding posts.

Installed the ports and drivers and they're done! I weighed them on my shipping scale. They weight 35 lbs 1.5 ozs each!

Listened to them one evening in the shop before packing them up to go to a local DIY GTG/Demo that was scheduled for the next day. I really liked what I heard but was curious to hear what others had to say. A wide variety of music was played through them and other speakers that were there that day. A lot of it I would never play myself, so it was interesting to see how they compared.

Here is a link to the thread about the event: Ottawa DIY Audio Get Together

These are keepers. They sound much larger than they are and have no trouble with providing a realistic, rich sound on many types of music. They seem well balanced. They truly are high value. They are my new workshop speakers. They make my old Marantz 2285b sound fantastic.

Last edited by ripcard on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:11 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added a few more pics and info.)

ripcard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Clearwave on Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:36 am

Looks fantastic. The RBR was a great little speaker while the supplies lasted. I'm glad you had the chance to build a pair, but I wonder what you'll build next! Very Happy

Clearwave

Back to top Go down

Post  ripcard on Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:10 pm

Thanks Jed, it is too bad that they had a limited availability. I`m sure they would have sold more and more as their reputation grew with each completed build.

As far as what to build next...well, I still have to finish my sub that I started during the winter. I ran into a veneering issue and have put it away until the fall when I can spend more time to get it right. I just don't have the time during the summer. I also was lucky at our DIY event and scooped up a couple of the door prizes the sponsors donated. A CSS TRIO 12 sub driver and a Tang Band W6-1139SI sub driver are in need of designs to do them justice. For the future I'm thinking a reference design to go up market a little but haven't decided on direction. I was impressed by the line arrays at our event so I'll look into that a little more.

BTW, I just managed to recover a few pics off the memory card that has been giving us some issues in our camera so I'll update the thread with a couple more pics and info.

ripcard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Clearwave on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:16 am

Sounds like a plan Rick. You've built a lot of speakers this last year. By the way, what finish did you use on the RBR... nice and glossy and it look very even.

Jed

Last edited by Clearwave on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Clearwave

Back to top Go down

Post  ripcard on Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:03 pm

Minwax Wipe On Poly is all that was used. No stain. I only used three coats so that some of the grain texture would still be visible when the light hits them just right.

ripcard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  pop4richard on Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:37 am

Hi Ripcard, excellent build. Very nice and clean looking construction, I like the light coloured graing on the wood. How's the next pair going? Richard.

pop4richard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ripcard on Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:18 pm

Thanks Richard. There won't be much action on the next build until the fall. Summer is just too busy for me to spend any significant time in the shop.

ripcard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ripcard on Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:28 pm

About 2 dozen local DIY enthusiasts gathered once again in Ottawa to show and tell projects that we worked on. I brought the RBRs again as we were going to have a measurement rig set up. Here is the graph:

Very flat. Once again these speakers impressed. They need a little power but sound great when they get it. Definitely over achievers for their size and cost.

Last edited by ripcard on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:12 am; edited 1 time in total

ripcard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top