1S Mod build

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1S Mod build

Post  ripcard on Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:27 pm

To go along with my 2Ts built last winter and my 2CC that is currently being built, I have started on the 1S speakers to round out my HT. I will be building these at the same time as the centre. As per usual, I've made a few changes to the design. In the case of the 1S, these changes are minor when compared to the centre and mains. I will rear port them and build the front baffle to the same design as the 2T and 2CC (with a roundover and truncated at the bottom to allow some veneer on the front of the cabinet).

In the 2CC thread I mentioned using some right angle assembly clamps to aid in getting the braces glued up to the back prior to glueing up the box. I used them here to snap a pic or two. They really weren't necessary for the 1S but they did eliminate a lot of the fumbling with slippery braces and such during the more complicated centre glue up.

I decided to use the same method of construction as the other Dynamics I've built. The one side will be left off until all the foam, stuffing and wiring is installed and the front baffle will be finished seperately and glued to the cab at the end.

According to Jed's plans the 1S has a 1" baffle so I am using two 1/2" pieces of MDF to be able to do the sub baffle/top baffle thing. This allows me to get the exact same look and finish as my other speakers.

A test fit of the accuracy of my routing. I also marked the mounting holes to allow me to put some small filler pieces for extra driver support. Although the baffle will be 1" thick almost everywhere, right around the mid and woofer drivers it is only 1/2" thick because the sub baffle holes are opened up for better breathing.

You can see here what I mean about the support for the driver mounting. Only one layer of 1/2" MDF underneath the mounting rings of the drivers.

I'll just use a couple of the circle cut outs to make up some fillets to give some meat to the mounting holes. Here, pieces are marked out ready to be cut on the scroll saw.

The round over is next for the baffle and then the sealing, primer and laquer. The boxes are ready for Sonic Barrier and cross over mounting and wiring.
Hope to have another update for you next week.

Last edited by ripcard on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total

ripcard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1S Mod build

Post  Clearwave on Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:22 am

For my 1" baffle, I just cut a hole and opened it up with a chamfer bit for air flow instead of 2 holes cut square.

Clearwave

View user profile http://www.clearwaveloudspeaker.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ripcard on Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:22 am

Clearwave wrote:For my 1" baffle, I just cut a hole and opened it up with a chamfer bit for air flow instead of 2 holes cut square.

I know, but because I want the baffle finished separate from the rest of the cab, I'm doing it the same way as the bigger Dynamics. What I should have done was cut a smaller diameter hole for the sub baffle and chamfer it. My idea will work fine. It's just a little more effort.

ripcard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ripcard on Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:56 am

A little more work is complete.

Finished up the baffles with a roundover. After sanding they are ready for primer.

Installed the Sonic Barrier in the same manner as the 2Ts and the 2CC. The first 3" closest to the drivers is 1/2" with the remainder 3/4".

The crossovers and wiring will go in before I glue on the sides. The baffles will get multiple coats of primer and black laquer.

Last edited by ripcard on Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total

ripcard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ripcard on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:20 am

Work continues on the 1s project. Here's where I am so far.

Crossover, wiring and mid chamber stuffing in place.

The sides glued on.

Baffles are ready for the black lacquer. Primer went on very smooth. Minimal sanding was required in between coats.

The smaller 1S cabinets are definitely easier to work on than the towers and centre. As with the others, I filled any flaws, rounded over the back edges, sanded then sealed the surfaces where the veneer will go with thinned wood glue. They are ready for veneer.

Hope to have more progress to show next week.

Last edited by ripcard on Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total

ripcard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ripcard on Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:41 am

Well it's been a little longer than a week but I am making progress. As with my 2CC it' mostly about veneer.

I decided to treat myself to a proper flush trim tool for these(and future) builds instead of using a full size router. Much easier to handle for this kind of work.

It's a wrap...again.

Flush trimming is pleasant work now.

A little sanding of the edges after trimming and it's easy to get nice sharp lines.

Porting will be out the back like the rest of my Dynamics. Not a Precision Port so the hole is smaller.

Before stain and poly, the binding post cup cut out has to be done and I'm still working on finishing the baffles.

Last edited by ripcard on Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total

ripcard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Beerserker on Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:44 am

Hey Ripcard, what radius roundover are the back edges of the cabinet? Any trouble getting the veneer to stick or problems with cracking?

I'd like to get a trim tool as well. Using a full size router is overkill... I like overkill, but I still want that trim tool.

EDIT: Oh wait, I just read your other thread where you mention the bubble. The reason I asked was because I've read that smaller roundovers can be a problem, it steered me away from doing a roundover on mine.

Beerserker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ripcard on Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:48 pm

Hey Beerserker, welcome to the forum. I used a 1/2" round over on all my Dynamic builds. You can check out my completed 2T Mod build for the finished look. As I mentioned in the thread, the 2CC is the first time I had any trouble at all. I'm thinking it was a function of that particular piece of veneer. It did seem to wave up more than the others when the glue was applied, even though it was taped down. I prefer the look of a roundover over a "square" box but may try a chamfer for another project I have lined up. I have an RBR kit waiting in the wings. Good luck with your build. Which one? I look forward to the thread.

ripcard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Beerserker on Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:17 am

I'm building 4T's and 1s's. I've already built my CC (no finish yet). The Mains and Surrounds will begin this weekend and I will most likely start a thread for them. They'll be a plain vanilla build per Jed's specs so there wont be anything unusual in the construction. If all goes as planned the finish will be glorious and awesome though.

I like your builds. Very tidy and good looking.

Beerserker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ripcard on Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:03 pm

The final update in the build thread. Better late than never.

To flush mount the binding post cups I made a jig out of MDF scraps to guide the router. I used a bit that had the same radius as the rounded corners on the cup.

Using the depth stop I first cut out the mounting flange to the correct depth and size.

Then by laying some strips of 1/2" MDF to the inside of the jig frame and plunging down through the cab, the opening is made the correct size.

A utility knife to cut the sonic barrier and we're done.

The finish on the cabinets consists of 3 coats of stain and six coats of wipe-on poly. I used a scotch brite pad in between coats of poly to keep the finish from building up any lumps around dust specs.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of the front baffles being glued on and the final assembly, but that's fairly straight forward. Laying the cabinets on their backs I spread glue on both the boxes and baffles. Using some MDF circles previously cut out that matched the size of the driver flanges, I used weights to press the baffles down while the glue cured. With the weights on the MDF circles, which were sitting down in the driver cut outs, the time consuming laquer finish was protected. The port tubes were glued to the correct length, foam tape stuck on the flanges and installed. Foam tape was also used for all the drivers and one binding post cup. (For some reason one had a gasket from the factory and the other didn't.)

et voila...

To say I'm happy with the sound is an understatement. They have a very full sound for their size. I A/B'd them with a set of older but much larger Paradigm 11se speakers (8" three ways) that I always felt had an excellent low end. With eyes closed and someone else working the A/B selector (and the mid and treble tone controls on the Marantz 2285b turned to minimum)the bass sounded the same. The mids and highs reproduction with all tone controls at 12 o'clock is another story. Here is where the Dynamic series really shines for me. These 1s's don't seem to be missing any of their big brothers detail. I think, for someone looking to stay away from towers for their mains, these should be seriously considered.

I thoroughly enjoyed building these. It's amazing how scale can have an affect on the overall effort involved. The size of these speakers makes for a much easier time doing almost all the tasks required during the build. Big speakers are nice when they're done but small speakers are more fun to build.

Last edited by ripcard on Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

ripcard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt34 on Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:45 am

Very nice results!

Matt34

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ripcard on Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:36 pm

Thanks. The more I listen to these, the more I'm impressed. Jed did a great job.

ripcard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I'm gunna try to clone those!!!

Post  HiroPro on Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:52 am

Hi ripcard and Jed!

I intend to duplicate that 5.0 setup of yours ripcard!

I've been talking with Jed since around xmas and now I have time and the $$$ to build that set. After looking at how you've constructed yours I intend to do exactly the same thing. The front baffle solution would work perfectly for me with my limited experience. I'm going to start with the 1S because it's small and should be the easiest to work with as I'm novice in building cabinets. I do though have access to a pro shop with all the equipment one would ever need including vacuum bags for veneering.

I'd like to harvest any cad, visio etc drawings, picture and design that you worked with ripcard if possible.

HiroPro

HiroPro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ripcard on Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:58 am

Hi Justin, thanks for the kind words. I tried to put as much info into the build threads as I could but if there are any questions feel free to post. It's Jed's forum so I'll let him take care of you (unless he requests otherwise, then I'd be happy to chime in). However, if you send me your email via PM I can gather up all that I have in the way of documentation and send it to you.

For the towers I used Jed's reworked 2T drawing as a reference. For the 2CC I learned to use SketchUp to work out my idea with Jed. The 1S was dimensionally exactly like Jed's design except I used the split baffle method to allow for a painted black baffle and ported out the back to keep the look the same as the others. To get a little practice with SketchUp I went ahead and modeled the 2T's I built, so I could send that as well. Google SketchUp has a trial version so you could make use of the files to make any changes you might want. Also if there is a particular measurement you need, and the dimensions are not shown, there is a measuring tool in the program. It doesn't take too long to learn if you use the tutorial. Hope you have as much fun with the builds and find it as rewarding as I did.

ripcard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Clearwave on Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:20 am

Once Justin gets further along and places his order, I'd be happy to give him the drawings for his builds. Ripcard's build is certainly inspiring. Very well done.

Clearwave

View user profile http://www.clearwaveloudspeaker.com

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top