RBR curved cabinet build

View previous topic View next topic Go down

RBR curved cabinet build

Post  pop4richard on Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:20 am

Hi, I would like to share my first build with you, the Clearwave RBR. First many thanks to Jed for the great design. I am most happy with the sound of these speakers.

The components were purchased from Madisound with the crossover upgrade option.

I wanted to depart from the square box design so I designed the cabinets in AutoCAD ensuring the same internal volume as the original design, printed off the curved shape onto paper that I used as a template. I decided not to mitre the front baffle, as I will always use them with the front covers (kids and cats) and I liked the sharper lines.

I cut out the top, bottom and two middle curved partitions with a jig saw and joined them on top of each other with a couple of long screws. I then sanded them while they were joined together to obtain a consistent curved profile.

The frame of the cabinets were assembled with wooden dowels, screws and PVA. A fair amount of thought went into the order of the assembly, screwing the frame together to drill the dowel holes, then taking apart to screw and glue some of the parts and finally gluing the dowels in place and the frame as 3 parts. I was really concerned that the frame would not be square and true after assembly, which was important to allow the layers to join without being racked and the smallest chance of a gap developing between the layers.

There are 6 layers of 3mm MDF (pre-bent with a little water and a few very light kerfs cut with a knife). Each layer was then strapped and glued one, then two at a time to the frame with HEAPS of PVA. The first layer is also doweled to the frame.
Each of the layers were made oversize then routed to their final dimensions.

Inside each speaker has Intertechnik acoustic foam and a little Acousta Stuf fiber.
Wood veneer is locally sourced Rimu joined in 300mm wide strips with about 5 coats of low sheen polyurethane.

The stands are from 60mm O/D diameter 6mm thick walled steel pipe welded to 6mm thick MS plate. Holes have been tapped for steel spikes that I havenít yet installed. Only one coat of paint with a couple more to go.

pop4richard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: RBR curved cabinet build

Post  Clearwave on Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:50 am

Most spectacular! Thank you for sharing. I also received your email and will look into your question for you.

Jed

Clearwave

View user profile http://www.clearwaveloudspeaker.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ripcard on Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:24 am

Very nice! If you don't mind my asking...what is the finish?

ripcard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Rimu finish with polyurethane

Post  pop4richard on Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:02 pm

Thanks Ripcard. The finish is local demolition 'Rimu' timber (can't chop these trees down anymore). Cabot's Crystal Clear water based poluurethane, satin finish. Richard.

pop4richard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ripcard on Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:57 pm

And where would local be? From what I can tell in the pictures the Rimu appears to be 3/16" or so thick? Did you use wood glue? Press or clamps? I have some beautiful walnut that I might try something similar with. Curious as to how thin I'd have to plane it and the best way to apply it without any waves or bumps.

ripcard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  pop4richard on Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:34 am

Local is Wellington in New Zealand. The Rimu is about 1/32" thick (very thin) and it was applied with a contact adhesive and rubber roller. Maybe not the best glue from a stability point of view but seems to work ok. I did think of coating each face with PVA, letting it dry and then ironing it on which I believe works, but I was not sure how to maintain a good overlap/join with that method. I want to start another set of speakers soon but I am undecided what to make. Something a bit more challenging!

pop4richard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top